While considering your options in relation to graduate, business, and law schools – or just exploring possibilities – demonstrating your abilities to schools is a smart move. The GRE General Test lets you do just that by measuring the analytical, critical, and subject-specific skills that graduate schools look for. It reflects the thinking required in today’s demanding globally-renowned graduate programs.
Read more: GRE General Test Vs Subject Test – What Are The Differences?
The test is primarily designed to measure analytical writing, critical thinking, and quantitative reasoning skills developed over time and independent of any particular field of study. As a crucial component of the graduate school application, candidates need to ensure they do well on the GRE. For that, they don’t just need to prepare well but also ensure that they understand the sections and types of questions being asked.
In this blog, we’ve included all the details about the GRE General Test, including registration, scheduling, GRE General test fee, and GRE General Test pattern.
To read more about how to prepare for the GRE General Test, read our blog on – How to prepare for the GRE in one month?
How to register for the GRE General Test?
The GRE General Test is most widely used for admission to graduate and professional schools worldwide. The exam taker can take the test at one of more than 1,000 test centres in more than 160 countries. Additionally, test-takers also have the option of choosing to take the test from the comfort of their own homes instead of going to the centre.
Steps to scheduling your GRE General Test at the test centre or at home.
a.The first step is to visit the official GRE website and create an ETS account.
- Once you’ve created your ETS account, log back in to the website and go to the scheduling portal.
- On the scheduling portal, you’ll be able to look at all the centres and dates. Use the filters to fill in our preferences.
- After you’ve filled in your preferences, confirm the same, and click on the register button.
- You’ll be redirected to the registratiom portal wherein you can log in and fill up your details.
- Now all you need to do is pay the GRE Test fee and you’ll soon receive your confirmation email.
Some important points to consider:
- The new users or aspirants registering for the GRE General Test must create an account to schedule a test, view scores, and update their profile.
- The users who have already created an account must log into their ETS account with the already created user ID and password.
- Meanwhile, the GRE Test can also be taken at home, a safe and convenient option for students who prefer to avoid taking it at the test centre.
- GRE General Tests are available globally at over a thousand locations. ETS Account users can also register by selecting the At Home option and choosing the ideal date.
Registration for the GRE should be completed at least 2-3 months prior to the test date. As a result, applicants will be able to secure the date and location of their choice and ensure that their scores are ready in time.
Read more: The Ultimate Guide To GRE: Registration, Eligibility, Fees, And Test Structure Explained
Registering through phone:
Candidates can also register by calling 1-800-GRE-CALL or 1-800-473-2255. The confirmation number, location, and examination time are provided during the phone call.
You can request a GRE Test Authorization voucher by mail after payment. Fill out the GRE General Test Authorization Voucher Request Form (PDF). The paper check or money order should be mailed with the form to the address on the form.
After receiving the authorisation voucher, register online or call to schedule an appointment. Prior to the expiration date of your authorisation voucher, schedule an appointment.
GRE General Test Fee in India – How much does the GRE General Test Cost?
(As of July 1, 2024, fees are in US dollars and may change.)
|GRE test fees
|India Price (INR)
|GRE General Test
|GRE Subject Test
GRE General Test Fee in China and other parts of the world:
|All other areas of the world
Points to keep in mind:
- The candidate is eligible to take the GRE test once every 21 days, up to five times within any continuous rolling 12-month period (365 days). The same applies if you have cancelled your recent test scores.
- When selecting the test date, ensure that you will receive your results by the deadline for your application.
- A candidate will receive their score report 8-10 days after their test date, while schools will receive their scores more quickly depending on their delivery method. Within a week, scores are delivered electronically. When choosing a test date, the institution’s timeframe for processing scores should be considered.
GRE General Test Pattern
The GRE General Test is a computer-based test with a user-friendly design that allows you to skip questions within a section, change answers, and select which questions within a section you want to answer first.
Sections of the GRE General exam
- Verbal Reasoning:
The verbal reasoning section measures the ability to:
- Select important points, distinguish major points from minor points, summarise the text, and understand its structure.
- Analyse and conclude the discourse, identify the author’s assumptions, and understand multiple levels of meaning, such as literal, figurative, and authorial intent.
- Understand words, sentences, and entire texts and their relationships.
- Quantitative Reasoning:
The quantitative reasoning sections measure one’s ability to:
- Solve problems using mathematical models
2. Understand, analyse, and interpret quantitative information.
- Apply basic skills and elementary concepts of mathematics, geometry, data analysis, and algebra.
- Analytical Writing:
The analytical writing measures one’s ability to:
- Provide relevant reasons and examples to support your ideas.
- Communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively.
3. Ensure that standard written English is followed.
- Maintain a coherent and well-focused discussion.
GRE test sections and timings – How long is the GRE General Test?
The overall test timings are about 1 hour and 58 minutes. There are five sections mentioned in the table:
|Number of Questions
|Analytical Writing (One Section)
|One Analyze an Issue Task
|Verbal Reasoning (Two sections)
|Quantitative Reasoning (Two sections)
The analytical writing section will be the first. After the analytical writing section, the verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning sections will appear in any order.
Acceptance of GRE Test scores
The GRE General Test scores are accepted at thousands of graduate schools, including business and law, and departments and divisions within these schools. The GRE program offers three scoring services:
- Score review for analytical writing measure– Request a review of your analytical writing score.
- GRE Diagnostic Service: Get feedback on your verbal and quantitative reasoning performance.
- Question and Answer Review service (Available for New York test takers only)- Review your incorrect answers to verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning questions.
GRE General Test assesses different skills. The GRE can be taken at any time of the year. A lot depends on unique circumstances, goals, and factors such as university application deadlines and personal readiness for the programs one is interested in. The application deadlines, test centre availability, and personal readiness (level of preparation) are all factors that can help one choose the ideal month to give the GRE General Test.