Understanding the CLAT exam pattern is the first step in achieving a high score. With the help of the CLAT exam pattern 2023, you can devise a strategy that will help you achieve the best score possible.
CLAT exam pattern 2024 has been revised by the consortium of National Law Universities (NLUs). Additionally, it comprises important information such as the total number of questions, mode of exam, and marking scheme. However, the candidates should go through the CLAT exam pattern 2024 thoroughly before commencing the CLAT 2024 preparation.
The CLAT question paper for enrollment in undergraduate courses in the academic year 2024-25 will have 120 questions instead of 150 questions as in previous years. Besides, there will be 120 questions in the same five sections, which include English language, current affairs, legal reasoning, general knowledge, and quantitative skills.
Highlights of the CLAT exam pattern
Below are the highlights of the CLAT exam pattern:
|Exam Mode||Offline (Pen & Paper based)|
|Exam Duration||120 minutes (2 hours)|
|Type of Questions||Multiple-choice questions (MCQs)|
|Number of Sections||5|
|Correct Answer||1 mark|
|Negative Marking||Yes (0.25 marks)|
CLAT Exam Pattern 2023-24
CLAT consists of four sections: English, logical reasoning, legal reasoning, quantitative techniques, and general knowledge. Moreover, the exam will be conducted on a pen-and-paper basis.
CLAT 2023-24 will be conducted on 3rd December 2023 by the consortium of NLU. However, the exam candidates should understand the CLAT exam pattern to devise an effective strategy for the exam and attempt all five sections proficiently and competently.
The table below will give an idea of the CLAT paper pattern and aid you in your preparation:
|Number of Sections||5|
|Sections||English including comprehension, General Knowledge and Current Affairs, Legal Reasoning; Logical Reasoning, Quantitative Techniques|
|Total no. of questions||120|
|Marks per question||1|
|Negative Marking||Yes (0.25 deducted for a wrong answer)|
|Mode of Examination||Pen and Paper Mode|
CLAT Exam Pattern: Section-wise Distribution
|1||English including Comprehension||23-24|
|2||General Knowledge and Current Affairs||29-30|
|5|| Quantitative Techniques
CLAT Exam Pattern for UG
The table below provides a basic overview of the CLAT exam pattern for UG:
|Particulars||CLAT Exam Pattern for UG|
|Duration||2 hours – from 02:00 to 04:00 PM|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Type Questions (MCQs)|
|Total Questions||Undergraduate Course: 150 questions|
|CLAT Total Marks||150 marks|
|CLAT Marking scheme|| Incorrect Response: – 0.25 mark
Correct Response: 1 mark
|Subjects covered as per CLAT Exam Pattern||5 Subjects including Legal Reasoning, Logical Reasoning, English Language, Current Affairs including General Knowledge, Quantitative Techniques|
CLAT Exam Pattern 2024: Sectional Weightage for PG
All undergraduate-level topics are covered in CLAT’s PG paper pattern, including family law, contract law, property law, and others. Furthermore, by gaining legal knowledge, it examines the candidate’s ability to make legal arguments.
The table below will give an idea of the topic-wise weightage:
|Subjects||Number of Questions||CLAT Total Marks|
Analyzing the difficulty level of CLAT PG
1. Depending on the year, the difficulty level of the common law admission test postgraduate (PG) exam may vary.
2. PG exams are more challenging than UG exams as they require a deeper understanding of the legal concepts and their application to complex situations
3. The difficulty level of the Common Law Admission Test will be moderate to difficult.
4. It is important that the aspirant is well prepared and is completely familiar with the CLAT question paper pattern, marking scheme, and syllabus to succeed in this examination.
CLAT Exam Pattern features
- The reduction of the number of questions in the CLAT exam pattern is a major change. Besides, there will be 120 questions and 120 marks in CLAT 2023-24.
- According to the consortium in the recent notification, the CLAT exam will be conducted in pen and paper mode.
- There is no change in the duration of the exam and the CLAT 2023-2024 will be for 120 minutes
- The CLAT will require students to demonstrate skills in inferential reasoning, and those with good reading habits will have an edge.
- The CLAT exam will include passages of 450-500 words comprising 5-6 questions.
- Reading skills are essential since every section includes passages and questions.
- Candidates should be able to read and understand passages quickly so that they can answer questions efficiently and on time.
- The aspirants/candidates should strategize their time to complete the exam in the given time with 100% accuracy.
- The quantitative section of the CLAT will include questions based on facts, graphs, pictures, propositions, and diagrammatic numerical representations.
- There will be questions at the 12th standard level of difficulty, while the questions in the quantitative techniques section will be at the level of a 10th standard question.
- Both UG and PG students will be marked equally for CLAT 2024. Meanwhile, for every correct answer. +1 mark will be awarded. For every incorrect response, -0.25 marks will be deducted. However, the candidates will not get any marks for unattempted questions.
Important points to remember for CLAT paper pattern
1. The candidates appearing for CLAT 2023-24 should thoroughly know the pattern of the CLAT exam.
2. Exam patterns provide candidates with information about the exam mode, sections, marks distribution, number of questions, duration, and difficulty level of the exam.
3. Knowing the CLAT exam pattern is essential for understanding the types of questions that can be asked and the skills that will be tested. Hence, every candidate should be aware of the modalities of the exam.
FAQs- CLAT 2023 Exam Pattern
1. What is the CLAT exam pattern?
The consortium of National Law Universities announces the CLAT exam pattern separately on its official website for the UG and PG. Moreover, both the UG and PG exams are comprised of objective MCQ-type questions. Besides, the CLAT exam pattern 2023 should be studied carefully by candidates to gain a better understanding of the topics covered and the weightage assigned to them in the exam.
2. What is the difference between the CLAT paper pattern for UG and PG exams?
CLAT paper patterns for UG and PG exams are identical in terms of the type of question, the mode of testing, and so forth. These two exams differ in terms of the total number of questions.
3. Are any changes introduced in the CLAT exam pattern 2023-2024?
The CLAT 2024 exam pattern has been announced by the Consortium of National Law Universities (NLUs). Meanwhile, the number of questions for CLAT-UG is reduced from 150 to 120.
4. Is CLAT an MCQ-based exam?
The CLAT is an MCQ-based exam for both UG and PF courses. However, every section of the CLAT exam comprises CLAT exam pattern passages and the candidate has to find answers by analyzing the concepts of the passage.
5. What is CLAT negative marking?
According to the CLAT negative marking scheme, the candidate will lose -0.25 marks for each incorrect answer. Besides, to improve their accuracy and avoid negative markings during the CLAT exam, they should practice CLAT sample papers several times.
6. Can I appear for CLAT 2023-24 after the 12th?
Yes if you are appearing for Class 12th or any equivalent exam, you can apply for CLAT 2023-2024. However, the candidates should pass the minimum qualifying marks required.
7. Will CLAT be held in regional languages?
CLAT 2024 is anticipated to be held in regional languages. However, The Bar Council of India is considering adding vernacular languages as a medium of paper.
8. What is the CLAT age limit?
CLAT does not have an upper age limit.
9. Is it compulsory to study mathematics for the CLAT exam 2024?
There are 13-17 questions in the CLAT question paper, so aspirants with weak mathematics skills need not be concerned. However, the students can score well if they focus on the other sections of the CLAT UG examination.
10. What is the level of questions to be asked in the CLAT 2024 question paper?
CLAT 2024 paper difficulty is determined by the level of questions. Therefore, CLAT UG questions are of a level equal to or higher than Class 12 with the exception of quantitative technique questions. However, the quantitative techniques section is of a basic difficulty level. Currently, the level of questions asked in GK and current affairs is not defined. Besides, this question may be asked from any source, including newspapers or current affairs for the past year.
Knowing the CLAT exam pattern will assist the candidates in preparing for the exam efficiently and give them an idea of what to expect on
the exam day. The CLAT exam will aid them in devising the strategy that works best for them and will increase their chances of scoring well. If you wish to excel in the CLAT exam, improve your scores, and increase your chances of securing admission to prestigious law institutes then you must join programs including CLAT Exclusive Classroom 2025, CLAT Exclusive Online 2025.