CLAT is one of the most competitive exams in India. CLAT exam Syllabus 2024 will be officially released by the consortium along with the notification. The CLAT UG Syllabus is designed to evaluate the skills in five different subjects, including current affairs, logical reasoning, English language, legal reasoning, and quantitative techniques.
All the sections of the CLAT exam syllabus have equal importance. So, one must ensure that all chapters of CLAT Syllabus 2024 have been covered in order to score well in the examination. The CLAT syllabus contains all the necessary documents to prepare for CLAT 2024. As a result, candidates can begin their preparation in a systematic way. CLAT also tests reasoning skills and mental ability to study law along with comprehensive skills.
Section-wise CLAT Exam Syllabus – UG
The CLAT UG 2024 exam will be a two-hour test with 120 multiple-choice questions carrying one mark each. There will be a negative marking of 0.25 marks for every wrong answer. The questions will include five subjects legal reasoning, English language, current affairs, including general knowledge, and quantitative techniques.
UG-CLAT 2024 will assess candidates’ reasoning and comprehension abilities. Rather than assessing prior knowledge, it tests aptitude and skills necessary for legal education.
Below are the five exam sections in CLAT UG Syllabus:
This section will include passages of about 450 words each which will be derived from contemporary or historically significant fiction and non-fiction writing. The passages will be suited to students in the 12th standard who should be able to read them in 5-7 minutes. There will be a series of questions following the passage that will require students to demonstrate their comprehension and language skills, including:
- Identify and comprehend the main point discussed in the passage, along with any arguments and viewpoints set forth
- Analyze the passage and draw conclusions
- Summarise the passage
- Compare and contrast the different arguments or viewpoints presented in the passage.
- Interpret the meaning of the passage’s words and phrases in light of their context.
CLAT English language syllabus key topics
CLAT Syllabus for English language aspirants should focus on the following topics while preparing for the exam. Make sure you check the CLAT eligibility details before applying to avoid last-minute cancellations.
The topics one should focus on are:
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Correcting incorrect grammar sentences
- Fill in the blanks
- Spotting grammar mistakes
- Active and passive voice.
2. Current Affairs, Including General Knowledge
This section on current affairs and general knowledge will include passages of up to 450 words each. The passages will be drawn from non-fiction writing, journalistic sources, and news articles. Legal information or knowledge discussed in or related to the passage will be examined. Each passage will be followed by a series of questions. You will be tested on your knowledge of various aspects of current affairs and general knowledge, such as
1. Arts and Culture
- Contemporary events from India and around the globe
3. International Affairs
4. Historical events of continuing significance
CLAT 2024 Syllabus for GK Section
|CLAT Syllabus for GK Section||Details|
|Theme of Questions||Current Affairs, News, and other non-fiction writing.|
|Type of Questions||450-word passages|
|Level of question||12th Standard|
|The General Knowledge Syllabus of CLAT 2024 is designed to test candidates’ skills in||Current events in India and around the world; arts and culture; international affairs; and historical events of continuing significance|
CLAT Exam syllabus for legal reasoning
This section involves reading passages of around 450 words, each related to scenarios and fact situations involving moral philosophical inquiries, legal matters, and public policy concerns. There will also be passages related to current or static topics/news in the field of law. There is no prior knowledge of the law required to attempt these questions. The aspirants will gain knowledge of current legal and moral issues by applying general principles to the provided fact scenarios.
Each passage will be followed by a series of questions requiring you to:
- Infer and identify the rules and principles set out in the passage
- Apply rules and principles to fact situations.
- Understand how rule or principle changes may alter their application to various situations.
CLAT important topics to cover legal reasoning section:
Below are the important CLAT topics to cover legal reasoning section of the CLAT Syllabus.
- Important Supreme Court Judgements
- Legal Maxims
- Indian constitution
- Current Affairs
- Important Acts and Amendments of the Legislature.
CLAT 2024 Syllabus for logical reasoning
This section of the UG-CLAT 2024 exam will comprise a series of short passages of about 450 words each. Each question is followed by one or more questions requiring you to:
- Read and identify the argument set out in the passage.
- Recognize an argument, its premises, and its conclusions.
- Critically analyze patterns of reasoning, and determine how conclusions are influenced by particular premises or evidence. Besides, altering premises or supporting facts can also strengthen or weaken conclusions
- From the passage, infer what follows and apply it to new situations.
- Draw analogies and relationships, identify contradictions, and assess arguments’ effectiveness.
The Quantitative Techniques section of the UG-CLAT 2024 consists of a series of short facts or propositions or other textual representations of numerical information. You will be required to derive information from the passages or questions and apply mathematical operations to such information.
The section has been renamed from Elementary Mathematics to Quantitative Techniques. The candidates have to prepare various mathematical techniques and formulas to answer questions correctly. The questions for CLAT Maths Syllabus will also be based on passages. The candidates will have to derive, infer, and manipulate numerical data that is designed in graphs, other representations, and passages. The majority of questions will be based on graphical representations, such as bars, charts, and graphs.
CLAT Quantitative Techniques Syllabus – Key topics
Below are topics that will aid candidates ace the CLAT Maths section and achieve a good score. The candidates are advised to review the list of CLAT colleges before attending their interview in order to shortlist their preferences.
- Time, distance, and speed
- Number theory and basic arithmetic.
- Mixtures and Allegations
- Friction and Equations
- Time and work
- Ratio and proportion
- Averages and Percentages
- Permutations and Combinations
- Monetary Evaluations.
UG Question Paper Format
- Maximum Marks: 120
- Duration of CLAT 2024 Exam: 02:00 hours
- Multiple choice questions: 120 questions of one mark each
- Negative Marking: 0.25 mark for each wrong answer
|Subject Areas with Weightage||(Approximate number of questions)|
|Current Affairs, including General Knowledge||28-32 questions, or roughly 25% of the paper|
|English Language||22-26 questions, or roughly 20% of the paper|
|Legal Reasoning||28-32 questions, or roughly 25% of the paper|
|Logical Reasoning||22-26 questions, or roughly 20% of the paper|
|Quantitative Techniques||10-14 questions, or roughly 10% of the paper|
Eligibility for UG CLAT Exam
The candidates belonging to the General, OBC, NRI, PWD, PIO, and OCI categories must secure at least 45% marks. Besides, they should also score 40% marks or equivalent in the case of candidates belonging to SCT/ST categories.
Other eligibility criteria:
- CLAT 2024 is also open to aspirants appearing for their qualifying examinations in March/April 2024.
- The CLAT 2024 will break ties as follows if more than one candidate secures an equal number of marks:
- A higher score in CLAT 2024’s Legal Aptitude component/section;
- Higher age;
- Computerized draw of lots.
CLAT PG Syllabus
The PG CLAT 2024 will focus on the comprehension abilities of the students. The PG CLAT exam will be 120 minutes in duration. The aspirants who are planning to appear in the CLAT 2024 for LLM should prepare as per the official CLAT PG Syllabus.
The first section includes 120 objective-type questions of 1 mark each. There will be a negative marking of 0.25 marks for every wrong answer. The CLAT exam will be based on mandatory subjects of the UG program comprising:
- Constitutional Law
- Law of Contract
- Administrative law
- Family Law
- Property Law
- Criminal Law
- Tax Law
- Company Law
- Public International Law
- Labour and Industrial Law
- Environmental Law.
In the objective section of the CLAT PG 2024, aspirants will be provided with a variety of primary legal materials, including key court decisions, regulations, and statutes. Every passage is followed by a series of questions requiring the aspirant to demonstrate:
- Ability to read and comprehend the passage, plus any arguments and viewpoints discussed.
- Awareness of the issues discussed in the passage
- Awareness of the legal issues and facts pertaining to and arising from the passage and the judgment or statute from which it is derived.
- Summarise the passage
- Ability to apply the knowledge you have gained about the field of law discussed in the passage.
Preparing for the CLAT PG 2024 exam
The tips mentioned below will aid you in your preparation for the CLAT PG 2024 examinations:
- Read and review important judgments, and try to discern various issues discussed in them.
- Understand important constitutional and legislative provisions, particularly those that have been discussed in recent judgments. Knowing historical case law and amendments related to such provisions will allow you to better understand such provisions and issues.
PG Question paper format
|Duration of the Exam||02:00 hours|
|Multiple-Choice Questions||120 questions of one mark each|
|Negative Marking||0.25 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer|
Eligibility for PG CLAT 2024 Exam:
- L.L.B Degree or an equivalent examination with a minimum of 50% marks or its equivalent grade for candidates belonging to General/OBC/PWD/NRI/PIO/OCI categories
- 45% marks or its equivalent grade for candidates belonging to SC/ST categories.
- The candidates appearing for the qualifying examination in April/May 2024 are also eligible to apply.
- No upper age limit for appearing for CLAT 2024
- The tiebreaker rule: If two candidates receive equal marks, the tie will be broken as follows:
- Higher age
- Computerized draw of lots.
The most useful books to refer to for CLAT 2024 syllabus:
Below is the list of CLAT Books the aspirants can refer to for better preparation for the CLAT 2024 Syllabus:
- Lexis Nexis
- Universal’s LLB Entrance Guide
- Manorama Year Book
- India Year Book
- Analytical and Logical Reasoning by RS Aggarwal
- Verbal Reasoning by RS Aggarwal
- Word Power Made Easy
- Analytical Reasoning by MK Pandey
Section wise- weightage for CLAT Syllabus 2024
Below is the table showcasing CLAT Syllabus 2024 subjects and the number of questions asked for each section with their weightage:
|Current Affairs, including General Knowledge||35-40||25%|
CLAT Exam Syllabus: How to Complete it?
- General Knowledge: For covering the general knowledge section of the CLAT Syllabus effectively, aspirants should regularly read newspapers, editorials, and general knowledge books.
- CLAT English language syllabus: Students should focus on their reading habits and their ability to comprehend tough words to cover the CLAT Syllabus for English. For preparation, they should also use the best materials.
- CLAT Legal Reasoning Syllabus: This section of the CLAT Syllabus tests the candidates’ understanding of various aspects of the law. It is, therefore, necessary for students to keep abreast of all recent developments in the legal field.
- CLAT Exam Syllabus for logical reasoning: Aspirants should review last year’s papers and take the mock tests in order to score well in this section. Check out the CLAT study plan recommended by experts.
- CLAT Maths Syllabus: For this section, the candidate should practice more to get good CLAT results. To prepare for CLAT, they should solve past year’s questions and attempt as many CLAT mock tests as possible.
FAQs on CLAT Syllabus 2024
1. How often does the CLAT Exam Syllabus change?
Every year, the CLAT Exam Syllabus remains the same. As a result of changes in the paper pattern, the CLAT UG and PG syllabi were modified in 2020. However, there are no changes in the CLAT syllabus in the last year.
2. What is CLAT Syllabus, and how many sections does it have?
The CLAT Syllabus is different for both UG and PG exams. Current Affairs and General Knowledge, English Comprehension, Quantitative Techniques (Mathematics), Legal Reasoning, and Logical Reasoning are the five sections of the CLAT UG Syllabus 2024. The CLAT PG Syllabus 2024 covers all UG syllabus subjects as well as jurisprudence, constitutional law, tort law, and administrative law.
3. Tell me more about the CLAT 2024 Syllabus for English?
English is one of the sections of the CLAT Exam Syllabus. This English syllabus for CLAT 2024 consists of passages of 450 words drawn from historically and contemporary significant fiction and non-fiction writing. There will be a question following each passage that candidates must answer.
4. Which authority is responsible for releasing the CLAT Syllabus?
The consortium of NLUs publishes the CLAT Syllabus on the official website for both UG and PG courses. Students preparing for the CLAT 2024 exam should visit the official website or download the CLAT 2024 Syllabus pdf.
5. Is it possible to cover CLAT 2024 syllabus in three months?
It is possible to cover the syllabus for CLAT in three months. Below are some tips for preparation:
- Aspirants need to have good knowledge of the CLAT Exam syllabus and exam pattern.
- Manage time smartly and prepare an effective study plan.
- Solve mock tests and CLAT previous year’s question paper.
- Focus on weaker subjects and analyze your performance.
- Revise daily.
6. What is CLAT Maths Syllabus?
CLAT Maths Syllabus contains questions that require candidates to apply various mathematical techniques. In the CLAT Exam Syllabus for Maths, most questions will be based on bars, charts, and other graphical representations. Throughout this section, elementary mathematics topics will be standardized.
7. What is the difference between CLAT and AILET syllabus?
The CLAT Syllabus 2024 includes five sections quantitative techniques, legal reasoning, English language, and current affairs, including general knowledge. Meanwhile, the AILET exam syllabus covered five sections with similar topics. But, it recently dropped two sections, namely legal aptitude and elementary mathematics.
8. Can you tell us more about the CLAT logical reasoning syllabus 2024?
In the CLAT Exam Syllabus, logical reasoning is one of the five sections. The questions from this section comprise of a series of short passages of 300 words. Additionally, verbal reasoning questions will make up a large portion of this section. The topics included in the CLAT logical reasoning syllabus are statement and assumption, syllogism, statement and course of action, cause and effect and statement and interference.
9. Is CLAT Syllabus challenging to complete?
The CLAT Syllabus is extensive, and candidates should prepare strategically to cover all topics and chapters. The CLAT syllabus is moderate, and if you prepare well, you will be able to score well.
10. Describe the CLAT PG Syllabus?
The CLAT PG Syllabus 2024 comprises major subjects from LLB programs. The subjects included under the CLAT exam syllabus are tort, constitutional law, property, family law, law of contracts, company law, tax and environmental law. Each question will carry 120 marks and will be objective in nature.