Graduate Record Examinations or GRE is an essential requirement for candidates seeking graduate studies abroad and an integral part of the application process for graduate schools or business schools and the high score is the result of GRE preparation. The GRE is also a multiple-choice, computer-based, and standardized exam that is required for admission to graduate programs and graduate business programs globally.
The GRE preparation is different from the preparation one may have done for their high school or college exams. However, the candidates who follow the right preparation strategy can achieve their target scores and secure admission to their dream graduate schools. As a study guide, one only requires effective test preparation.
GRE Preparation Tips 2023
There are many students who are uncertain about the best GRE exam preparation practices and ask how to study for the GRE. An effective GRE preparation strategy is the key to launching your study abroad career. Here are some GRE preparation tips to help students achieve their target scores and gain admission to graduate schools.
- Fix your target score: The key GRE preparation tip is to decide on the target score one wishes to achieve. Examine the GRE scores of previous year’s applicants admitted to the desired college or university. As a result, one is able to determine the average GRE scores accepted by these universities.
- Start by taking the GRE practice test: Knowing the current state of the GRE exam is the first step in preparing for the test. By taking the full-length GRE practice test, candidates should be able to identify their weak areas and sections that require additional attention.
- Prepare ahead of time: Plan for your overseas education at least one year in advance so that you can begin preparing for the test six months in advance. You will have the opportunity to retake the test if you score below the required level.
- Utilize the best resources available: Utilize the best books, guides, and materials to prepare for the GRE. By utilizing the best sources, you can develop the best strategies. Aspirants may also take GRE coaching, where they may interact directly with experienced faculty members and clarify any doubts they may have.
- Prepare to take the exam twice
It is crucial that you prepare for the test twice and be practical. The benefit of doing this is that you will be less nervous and able to plan the test a little ahead of time rather than waiting until the last minute.
- Develop a smart prep plan
Regardless of whether you choose a test preparation book, online program, or course, you need a smart preparation plan. You will be able to find a suitable environment with a little research.
- Simulate real-life GRE scenarios
You can practice test-taking techniques and concepts by taking paper-and-pencil tests. Don’t adjust your methods as you would on the actual GRE. Include online test preparation practice in your study plan to prepare for the computer-based exam.
- Analyze your test results
Review your performance after each GRE practice test. Find out which questions you consistently miss, ace, and slow down on. You can improve your GRE score by hiring a GRE tutor to help you assess your performance on practice tests.
- Answer every question
Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning scores are calculated based on the number of questions answered correctly. All questions should be answered in order to increase the score.
- Keep track of time:
Make sure you answer all the questions correctly. Don’t spend too much time thinking about difficult questions.
GRE Subject Test Preparation
The GRE Subject test is intended for graduate-level courses. If a candidate aims to attempt the test, they should complete the respective undergraduate course. There are no specific eligibility requirements for the GRE. Unlike the general test, the GRE subject tests assess a student’s knowledge of a particular field or subject. The following are some general tips for preparing for GRE subject tests:
- Try attempting every question: There is a similar weighting for all questions, so it is unnecessary to devote excessive time to difficult or tricky questions. In addition to preventing candidates from answering easy questions, this will also leave unanswered questions
- Prepare a pattern to solve the question paper first: Students can benefit from the pattern of answering the questions. As part of the GRE subject test preparation, it is recommended that candidates begin by answering questions about which they feel confident, and then move on to more challenging ones.
- Revision to undergraduate content: GRE subject tests are based on undergraduate knowledge levels. These topics should be familiar to aspirants.
- The aspirant should not focus on a particular type of question: Instead of focusing on one type of question, candidates should pay attention to various questions, including directions. Decoding it will save aspirants a lot of time during the test when solving answers.
- Keep notebooks only for taking important notes, and don’t use them for anything else:
Make use of the test booklet only for note-taking and organizing. Don’t forget to write the answers in the answer booklet.
1. Ensure that the undergraduate-level content for specific subjects has been revised since the subject test pattern is largely based on it.
2. Prepare a study plan that aligns with the syllabus and pattern of the chosen subject test.
3. Solve as many sample questions and papers as possible
4. Go through the old UG-level books and notes.
5. Familiarise yourself with the types of questions that will be asked in the exam.
Best Books for GRE Preparation – GRE Study Material 2023
Getting a good score on the GRE requires thorough preparation with the use of the best books available. Below is a list of GRE preparation books.
Best books for the quantitative section
1. Manhattan Prep: GRE Math Strategies
2. Princeton Review: Math Workout for GRE
3. Be a Human Calculator
Best books for Analytical Writing Section
1. GRE Analytical Writing: Solutions to the Real Essay Topic
2. Sample Essay for GRE by Andrea Schiralli
Best books for Verbal Section
1. The Vocabulary Builder Workbook: Simple Lessons and Activities to Teach Yourself
2. GRE Verbal Workbook by Kaplan Test Prep
3. Manhattan Word Problems GRE Strategy Guide
Prep books for the GRE
1. Kaplan’s GRE Premier
2. 5 lb. Book of GRE Practice Problems
3. GRE Big Book
4. GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards
5. GRE Analytical Writing
6. Gre Prep 2021 and 2022- Test Prep Books
7. Essential Words for the GRE- Barron
8. GRE Prep 2023- Princeton Review
9. GRE Test Prep- Baron
10. The Vocabulary Builder Workbook: Simple Lessons and Activities to Teach Yourself
11. Manhattan Pre[: GRE Maths Strategies
12. Princeton Review: Math Workout for GRE
13. Be a Human Calculator
GRE Practice Test
The GRE is a standardized test required by many universities in the US and other countries as part of their application process for graduate programs. The test aims to measure the student’s readiness for graduate-level coursework and evaluate skills in like analytical writing, verbal reasoning, and quantitative reasoning. With proper preparation, students can achieve a perfect score on the GRE.
Reasons for taking GRE practice tests
The following are a few reasons why you should take more GRE practice tests before taking your actual GRE:
- Set a target GRE score:
Set a target GRE score that you would like to achieve. You should take the GRE practice test in order to predict your score. This is an excellent way to determine where you stand and how close you are to achieving your goal.
- Take more GRE tests:
Take more GRE tests to know your strengths and weaknesses. This will also help you improve yourself.
- Solve sample or practice tests:
To manage the time allotted for each question or section on the GRE, you must solve sample or practice tests.
- Practice analytical writing
Practice analytical writing questions is the best way to improve your writing skills. Measure your skills with an advanced and high-quality GRE practice test.
- Take free practice tests:
To determine your average score, ensure that you take all the available free practice tests provided by different sites or academic platforms.
How to Prepare a GRE in One Month?
To prepare for the GRE in a month, you must improve your scores significantly and use your time efficiently. When you are short on time due to other commitments, a study plan can help you stay on track. Below are some of the best recommendations for a study plan for a month’s worth of GRE questions.
- Schedule your exam
Choose a convenient date for your GRE test. Develop a study strategy that allows you to dedicate a reasonable amount of time to each test section. Choose a date when one has plenty of time to prepare so that on exam day one feels prepared.
- Take a practice test
The GRE practice test is a key to designing a comprehensive one-month study plan. The full-length practice exam can aid you in
1. Finding out where you are now and where you need to be to achieve your goal.
2. Prioritize your study schedule based on your strengths and weaknesses.
3. Be familiar with the type of questions, GRE scoring process, and type of questions.
- Analyze your weaknesses and strengths
The practice exam should be assessed within a day or two of completion to keep the material fresh in your mind. This will allow you to remember the answers you chose and the reasoning behind them.
- Plan your study schedule for one month
Prepare a one-month study plan for the GRE. With only one month to prepare, plan on studying five to six days a week. Also, divide your daily study plan into sessions or take small breaks between them. Spend around an hour and a half to three hours studying each day. One can plan to review specific sections of the test using a calendar. It is possible to divide one’s study plan into sessions or to take small breaks between them.
- Practice daily by using good study strategies
With a good study strategy, you can cover all the material for the GRE. Test prep strategies should include both standard exam content and topics an aspirant struggles with the most.
Exam Day Tips for GRE Exam 2023
- Don’t study on the test day itself
Studying on the day of the test or the day before will only add to your stress level. Additional study is not required if one is well prepared for the GRE. One more day will not help if one is not prepared. Stay calm and relaxed before test day.
- Take a break
There are many instructions like this. There are a lot of students who don’t take breaks. Breaks should be used to visit the bathroom and wash the face with cold water.
- Set more alarms
On the morning of the GRE test, you should set your alarm one hour in advance. In addition, you can set several alarms so that you won’t fall asleep during the test.
- Stretch your body
Exercise or practice yoga early in the morning. Don’t overdo it with exercise. If you have a gym membership, go there.
- Solve puzzles to keep yourself active
Play puzzles or crossword puzzles on the GRE test day to warm up your brain. Go on your way after eating your snacks.
- Eat healthy food
To avoid feeling sleepy during the test, eat healthy food on the day of the test, such as fruit juice or salad. One can eat whatever they want after completing the exam.
FAQs on GRE Preparation
1. What is the importance of the GRE?
GRE, or the Graduate Records Examination, is one of the most important components of the graduate school application process. In most cases, it is one of the most important factors that are directly related to the field for which the applicant is applying.
2. How does the GRE assess skills?
Analytical writing, verbal reasoning, and quantitative reasoning are all tested on the GRE. In the verbal reasoning section, the aspirants are tested on reading comprehension, argument construction, and evaluation, as well as vocabulary. Quantitative reasoning tests on algebra, geometry, data analysis, and arithmetic in high school. The candidate’s ability to articulate complex ideas more effectively is tested in the analytical writing section.
3. Who is eligible to take the GRE entrance test?
Everyone can take the GRE. Due to the fact that the GRE is used for graduate school admissions, most people aren’t ready to take it until they have completed most of their undergraduate studies.
4. When should one study for the GRE and how long should preparation take?
It is entirely up to the aspirant to answer this question and also depends on their target score, as well as their level of proficiency in English and mathematics. To evaluate your performance, it is best to take a practice test and devise a strategy to help you achieve your target score. Aspirants should take the GRE examination between four and twelve prior to the test date.
5. How many times can I take the GRE?
Aspirants are allowed to take the test up to five times within a rolling 12-month period without restriction.
6. What is a good GRE score?
Getting a good GRE score depends on the program one is applying to, the score one is applying to, and the scores of other students applying to the same program.
7. Will I be allowed to use the calculator on the test?
For the quantitative reasoning sections of the GRE, you can use an online calculator. Among the basic functions of the calculator are addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and square root. It is not permitted to bring one’s own calculator.
8. Which colleges and programs accept GRE scores?
Business and graduate schools usually require GRE scores for admission. For business-related programs, many colleges also accept GMAT or GRE scores.
9. Can aspirants retake the GRE exam?
Aspirants can take the computer-based GRE up to 5 times per year every 21 days. Paper-based tests can be retaken whenever they are offered.
10. How long is the GRE score valid?
Aspirants’ GRE test scores are valid for five years following the testing year.
The Graduate Record Examination or GRE is an important step in the graduate school or business school application process. It is often required for admission to graduate programs and graduate business programs globally. If you need more help, you can check out our GRE Classroom, GRE Live Online, GRE SLP, and GRE Elite. Using this comprehensive guide, you will be able to get a good score and be able to get admitted to one of the best universities worldwide.