The CMAT exam pattern will be released by the National Testing Agency (NTA), the exam conducting body at the time of exam registration. Every student is advised to go through the CMAT exam pattern thoroughly. Besides, the NTA has already revised the CMAT exam pattern by adding innovation and entrepreneurship as compulsory subjects.
According to the latest CMAT exam pattern, the question paper of CMAT will be asked for subjects like logical reasoning, quantitative techniques and data interpretation, language comprehension, and general awareness. Moreover, the question paper of CMAT 2024 will be 100 questions in MCQ format. However, the CMAT is a national-level entrance exam accepted by all AICTE-approved universities and institutions.
Candidates should be familiar with the CMAT exam pattern, such as the CMAT marking scheme, the CMAT exam duration, the CMAT negative marking, the CMAT total duration, and the CMAT sections from which questions will be asked.
Highlights – CMAT exam pattern
Common Management Aptitude Test is a sought-after entrance exam amongst MBA aspirants as the score is accepted by more than 1,300 B-schools in India.
Below are the highlights of the CMAT exam pattern 2024 and the test structure.
|CMAT Exam Structure||Details|
|Number of Sections||5 (Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation, Logical Reasoning, Language Comprehension, General Awareness, and Innovation & Entrepreneurship)|
|Mode of Duration||Online|
|Duration of Exam||180 minutes|
|Number of Shifts||1 (3:00 PM to 6:00 PM)|
|Number of Questions||100|
|Number of Answer Choices||5|
|CMAT Marking scheme|| +4 marks for every correct answer
-1 mark for every incorrect answer
|Language of Paper||English|
- CMAT exam patterns have been revised twice in the last two years by the NTA.
- In 2021, the Innovation and Entrepreneurship section was added as an optional paper, and an additional 30 minutes were allocated to it. In the meantime, this section will become mandatory in 2022.
- NTA reduced the number of questions in each section from 25 to 20. However, there will be 100 questions in all, divided into five sections (each question will carry four marks).
- The CMAT 2024 exam will have five section exams with no choice and two shift exams.
- The CMAT time duration has been reduced and fixed to three hours.
- There is no additional time for the fifth section.
- The fifth section score is counted for percentile calculation to prepare the merit list.
- There will be 20 questions in each of the five questions.
- The candidates should not be applying to new courses in innovation and entrepreneurship.
- The number of CMAT test cities has increased to 126.
CMAT 2024 Important Dates
The CMAT 2024 will be announced by the National Testing Agency in November/ December 2023. Meanwhile, the below table shows the tentative CMAT exam 2024 schedule.
|Exam Activity||CMAT 2024||Remarks|
|CMAT Notification 2024 Release||November 10, 2023 (Expected)||Release on official NTA-CMAT website|
|Exam Registration starts||November 10, 2023 (Expected)||Online Process|
|Last date to apply||January 2024 first week (Expected)||Application form submission closes at midnight|
|Last date of successful transaction of fee through Credit/Debit Card/NetBanking/UPI / Paytm Wallet||January 2024 first week||Upto 11.50 PM|
|Correction in Particulars of the Application Form on the website only||Second week of January 2024||Upto 5 PM|
|CMAT 2024 Admit Card Download start date||Last week of January 2024||No Hard copy of the Admit Card will be sent|
|CMAT Exam Date||February 25, 2024 (Expected)||In 2 Shifts on the same day|
|Exam Duration||3 Hours||In two slots of 3 hours duration each|
|Result Date||Three weeks after the exam||The Scorecard download starts in the afternoon|
FAQs – CMAT
1. Does the CMAT Exam Pattern include any optional papers?
The CMAT exam pattern does not include an optional paper. However, the paper titled Innovation and Entrepreneurship, which was introduced as an optional paper last year, has now been declared compulsory. Consequently, candidates planning to take the upcoming exam should prepare for the following five sections:
1. Logical Reasoning
2. Quantitative Techniques
3. General Awareness.
4. Language Comprehension
5. Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
2. How many questions are there in each section of the CMAT exam pattern?
According to the most recent CMAT exam pattern update, there will be a total of 100 questions with 20 sectional questions. However, there has been a reduction in the number of questions in the section since innovation and entrepreneurship are now mandatory sections.
3. Who decides the CMAT paper pattern?
CMAT exam patterns are determined by the National Testing Agency (NTA). Meanwhile, the NTA is also responsible for conducting the CMAT examination.
4. Will the CMAT paper pattern 2023 be changed further?
There has been no change in the CMAT exam pattern for 2023 as of now.
5. What is the CMAT time duration?
The candidates have to solve 100 questions in 180 minutes CMAT time duration. Additionally, the questions will be asked from:
1. Language Comprehension
2. Quantitative techniques and data interpretation.
3. Logical Reasoning
4. General Awareness.
6. Is CMAT marking negative?
For each incorrect answer, one mark is deducted from the total score.
7. What is the highest CMAT score?
As per the applicant’s choice, the maximum score is 400 or 500.
8. What is the passing score for CMAT?
CMAT does not require a qualifying score. The most prestigious business schools, however, have a cut-off of 95+ percentile, which is equal to 280+ marks.
9. Which is better CMAT or MAT?
CMAT is a higher-level national MBA entrance test than MAT or ATMA. Moreover, it offers admission opportunities to colleges offering higher-level MBA/PGDM programs.
10. Who is eligible for CMAT?
CMAT is open to candidates in their final year of graduation or who have completed their bachelor’s degree.
Common Management Admission Test (CMAT) is a national-level test conducted by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) for admission to all management programs in AICTE-accredited institutions. Moreover, the CMAT 2024 is anticipated to be held in March/April 2024.
The candidate should have a thorough understanding of the CMAT exam pattern 2024 to ace the exam on the first attempt. With an understanding of the CMAT exam pattern 2023, one should have a clear picture of the paper format. Besides, it will also aid in understanding the subject-wise key topics, which are important to be prepared to score well in the exam.
If you wish to ace the CMAT and also improve your CLAT scores and increase your chances of getting into your dream university, then you must register with us for programs like CMAT Xclusive Live 2024, SNAP CMAT Self-Learning Program 2024, and NMAT SMAP CMAT Comprehensive Live 2024. The candidates should follow the latest CMAT Syllabus to prepare fully for the CMAT exam.